SAP BW data integration
Why is data analyzed outside SAP?
Databricks solution: PowerBI/Tableau provides native and performant connectors to Databricks
Databricks solution: any data can be loaded into Databricks easily and combined with SAP data
Databricks solution: finish your analyses faster due to less strict rules applied
Databricks solution: simple SQL can be used to analyze the data
Databricks solution: Databricks can scale up and down on-request
Databricks solution: various tools and libraries to build predictive algorithms and ML solutions
Sync your SAP BW and Databricks data access permissions.
Incremental data load support
For BW InfoCubes or Composite Providers.
BW query conversion
Move your BW query logic to Databricks automatically to prevent logic duplication.
For accelerated and governed reporting layer development
Cut SAP BW costs by using Databricks
By copying your data into Databricks, you may:
- avoid buying more RAM or servers in general by limiting the amount of data stored in SAP HANA
- lower your SAP maintenance and support bills
SAP BW Data Ingestion Architecture
Data extraction best-practice (ELT > ETL)
- extract all columns to let the data analytics/scientists decide which data they need
- we do not recommend using S/4HANA CDSViews as it creates a dependency on the SAP S/4HANA team
- developing CDSViews using the standard S/4HANA release process could be very time-consuming
- SAP-built CDSViews change quite often, we cannot control that (physical tables do not change that often)
Expected effort/budget needed:
- ~100 - 200 MDs for the initial setup (Databricks platform setup, BW data ingestion, data model in Databricks, authorization integration):
- 1 - 5 MDs per each SAP object (Multi Provider, InfoCube, CompositeProvider, aDSO)
- €80k - €160k per year for data ingestion tool fees, Databricks compute, cloud storage and I/Os